Hi everyone! I’m really excited to finally get to show you the kitchen makeover we’ve finished over the last six weeks as part of the One Room Challenge hosted by Linda of Calling it Home. I’m going to get to the pictures stat, but first, you can find updates from the last five weeks here: Week 1 | Week 2 | Week 3 | Week 4 | Week 5.
Now, without further ado…
Finishing this project in five weeks was definitely a challenge, but seeing the room come together has been incredibly satisfying. Those of you who have followed this blog for a while know that we just moved into this house three months ago, and since then we’ve spent a lot of time making and living in messes. In the few days since we wrapped up the project, we’ve SO enjoyed spending time in a complete, clean, and beautiful space that really feels like us. I love everything, but the green floors are obviously the pièce de résistance. They’ve got to be one of the best decisions I’ve made, maybe ever.
From the beginning, I’ve really emphasized that we were doing this makeover on a budget, with the goal of staying under $400. Even though we doubled the amount of tile we installed, I’m happy to say we made it! Here’s how it all broke down.
- Wall paint – Leftover from living room
- Cabinet paint – $21
- Floor paint – $35
- Polyurethane – $50
- Spray primer for brick – $4
- Cabinet hardware – $5 ($85 paid – $80 made from selling our old hardware)
- Plexiglass for cabinet doors – $21
- Silicone for installing plexiglass – $4
- Trim for installing plexiglass – $20
- Subway tile – $80
- Tile saw – $50 (split purchase with friend)
- Tile grout – Had from previous project
- Tile adhesive – Had from previous project
- Over-the-sink light – $15
- Flush mount LED lights for sunroom – $60
- White outlet receptacles and switch plates – $15
- Microwave – $-40 (Yes, we made money on the microwave by selling our over-the-range model and buying a less expensive countertop model.)
Which comes to a grand total of $340!! Obviously I feel awesome about the investment we made in this space and the bang we got for our buck.
It’s pretty obvious, too, that this project would never have gotten off the ground without Justin’s tireless, unflagging help and support. You cannot even imagine how much I have talked out loud, hogged the computer, decided things, undecided things, bought stuff, returned stuff, left paint brushes in the sink, left power tools in the rain (they still worked though), and NOT cooked suitable food over the last five weeks (while constantly adding more tasks to the project). So thanks very much to my lovely, saintly husband.
And thanks to everyone who encouraged me here! This was my first time participating in the One Room Challenge, and I had a blast! I’ve already decided on the room I’ll be making over for the fall edition of the challenge, so now I have an excuse to procrastinate on it for the next 5 months. 🙂
Now get on over to Calling it Home and check out lots more amazing reveals. If you haven’t checked out any of the other projects before, today is definitely the day!